Re: [OM] Brainstorm--SC vs MC

Subject: Re: [OM] Brainstorm--SC vs MC
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:30:08 -0700 (PDT)
[not entomolgist, but I work in the UCR ent. lab for work study, helping
with data entry/computers/etc; in reality, I'm an engineering major]

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, John A. Lind wrote:

>Another brainstorm related to SC vs MC and why the MC lenses tend to
>reflect green light.
>
>>From Ken Norton's reply to my extension tube query:
>>Fortunately, these lenses are pretty resiliant to fungus and fingerprints.
>>Just got to watch for the occasional spider.
>
>The strobe went off on *why* the MC lenses tend to reflect green.  They
>have spiders inside them.  Spiders' compound eyes reflect green when a
>pinpoint source of light is reflected from them.  All garden variety
>insects I have observed (spiders are technically arachnids) reflect yellow
>under the same circumstances.  Therefore, SC lenses have your ordinary,
>garden variety insects in them.  The extra you pay for is the trapping and
>enclosure of spiders versus finding any old insect to enclose.

Not /all/ spiders' eyes reflect green, only some. That's why you have some
MC marked Zuikos that don't reflect green.

>If there is an entymologist amongst us he/she can verify this reflection
>pheonomenon.  If not, and you really want to prove it for yourself, send a
>query off-line and I will tell you how to do it.
>
>This could also explain the anomolous observations of alleged MC lenses
>that do not show green reflections:  the spider either died or escaped somehow.
>
>So . . . if you are doing macros of spiders using your favorite ring flash,
>you need to be prepared for "green-eye" ("yellow-eye" on insects) versus
>the human "red-eye."

/Acer "Siddiq" Victoria
--
"...wanna go further, faster everyday...."
"...happy to do nothing--in fact that's what I did."