Re: [OM] Missing beep on OM-4?

Subject: Re: [OM] Missing beep on OM-4?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 20:56:08 +0000
At 22:12 6/8/99 , Siri wrote:
>This might be me hallucinating, but...
>
>AFAICR, my OM-4 used to "beep" when I did the battery test (ON/OFF/Test
>lever). As the delightful sound of the OM-1 was being discussed, I checked
>cos I couldn't remember having heard that beep in a while - and it's gone!

Check the self-timer switch position.  It has *three* positions.  As you
are holding the camera (as if to shoot a photograph) with the back towards
you and the lens facing away from you . . . or looking down from on top
with the back towards you . . .

1.  Right Position:   turns *on* the self-timer; you should hear a beep
during battery check.
2.  Center Position:  turns off the self-timer; you should hear a beep
during battery check.
3.  Left Position:  turns off the sefl-timer *and* the beeper; you should
*not* hear a beep during the battery check (however the LED inside this
switch should light up).

I've given all three positions so you will know what direction I'm talking
about.  Check the switch to see if it is in the left position.  If it is,
you will not hear any beeps for any reason (battery check, spot metering,
etc.).  BTW, this is the position I leave my OM-4 in unless I'm using the
self-timer.  Found the beeping during spot metering and other control
operation got annoying at times . . . to me and to some of my subjects.

If the switch is in the center position, you may have something wrong and
perhaps John H. can enlighten us more.

-- John