[OM] Why so many Olympus lens shades

Subject: [OM] Why so many Olympus lens shades
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:38:30 -0700 (PDT)
OK, I admit I am a Zuikoholic.  I picked up a couple of
Olympus lens shades at a flea market recently.  Now I have
the following shades (all are 49mm):
  24/2.8 metal
  28/2.8 rubber
  28/3.5 metal
  85/2 100/2.8 rubber

Except for the 100/2.8 shade, all the others seemed to be
almost identical in shape.  And I just don't get the reason
why there is a different shade for the 28/2.8 and 28/3.5
("28 is 28, the aperture should not matter, should it?")

So my question is:  Why did Olympus make so many different
lens shades for similar ranges of lens?  I understand the
problems caused by using a shade for a 100mm lens with a
28mm lens, and vice versa; but is there any real difference
in using a shade for a 28/3.5 lens with a 28/2.8 lens, for
example.  Or using a shade for a 28mm lens with a 35mm lens?

At what point will problems arise (such as vignetting or
loss of shading benefits)?  Is there any benefit in using
the shade for a 28mm lens with the 28-48 zoom?

Is there a list of how many unique lens shades Olympus made?
        -Dan