Re: [OM] Olympus America and Olympus Japan

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus America and Olympus Japan
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:00:27 -0400
 "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Zip disks here are  under $10 apiece but price per meg is high compared to
>discs holding gigs.  Did that make sense?
No.

Olympus 230MB MO disks are about $44 to $48 per 5-pack.  They are cheaper than
100MB Zip disks, but the MO drive is more expensive.  Most people are
short-sighted as to the size of the initial investment and the future outlay.

In Japan I bought a single pack of 10 Fuji MO disks for about 4200yen.  About
$35.
I was supposed to get a free pack of 10 Olympus MO disks as a rebate.  The
rebate took a few months to be processed.  The day after I came back from Japan
I received the free pack of 10.  Now I have 20 MO disks (roughly 4GB of storage)
for $35.  The Olympus 230MB drive (I recommend the SCSI drive) is about
$324 -$355 in the US now.  I don't remember the Japanese prices (I considered
the 640Mb drive, but my photo equipment shopping wiped out my funds).  Therefore
I settled on the $35 purchase of 2 GB of storage.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/

John