[OM] Re:OM System & Digital Photography

Subject: [OM] Re:OM System & Digital Photography
From: Gilbs <gilbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 00:14:38 +0000
I'm in the process of setting up a <Digital Darkroom> and I thought it might
make an interesting topic for discussion on the list, or stir up a hornet's
nest!  As I've only been on the list about a month I've been wondering what
people's attitudes are to the digital age.  I'm sure some people are opposed to
it on moral or religious grounds, as OLYs are a <traditional> camera, but then
we do all use computers, don't we?
  I don't see myself ever abandoning the OM system, which is a large part of
the joy of photography for me.  My idea of digital is using a film scanner &
photo quality printer to produce my own prints.   I have done B&W printing in
the past, but being married rather rules that out now.  (Planning permission
has been refused to convert the spare bedroom to a darkroom by she who must be
obeyed!)  However, adding a few extra boxes to her PC is a different matter,
lots of cash notwithstanding!  Anyway, phase one of my cunning plan is
complete, the purchase of a Nikon Coolscan 3. (LS30) This seems very good,
installed without problems with it's own SCSI card, and came complete with
Photoshop 4LE.  Phase 2 will be a good printer, probably an Epson Stylus 1200,
which will print up to A3 size.  (Currently saving for that!)
  I don't see myself getting heavily into digital manipulation, but as my main
interest is Landscape, as I see it using photoshop for colour correction will
mean I can leave the filters at home, (more room for zuikos!)  allow easy
cropping, etc & so simplify my photography.   It also means no more indecision
over film.  Hopefully I can Standardize on slide film, though I'll have to
experiment to see if neg film gives better results. B&W can be done at the
computer stage, from colour film, I look forward to trying that out.
Restoration of old photographs is probably worth a few brownie points from your
wife, mother, aunt, etc, as is red-eye correction. (Something my wife's Oly Mu
zoom (Stylus) is terrible for, though otherwise it's an excellent party camera)
  I would be interested to hear if other Zuiks use digital gear alongside their
OMs, any suggestions, experiences, etc. would be most welcome.
  Finally, let me leave you with this.  We all know digital cameras are of
generally poor resolution at the moment,  but the ability to produce
instant(ish) prints is for some purposes an irresistable attraction.  When the
quality is there, and the price is right, couldn't someone make a digital back
for my OM1 & OM4?......Olympus perhaps?
  Imagine that, a digital camera with the seductive handling & shutter sound of
the OM1.......(drool!).........

Andy Gilbert
Exeter
England