Re: [OM] Re:OM System & Digital Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:OM System & Digital Photography
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 23:20:07 -0500
At 12:14 AM 6/13/99 +0000, Andy you wrote:
>I'm in the process of setting up a <Digital Darkroom> and I thought it
might make an interesting topic for discussion on the list, or stir up a
hornet's nest!  As I've only been on the list about a month I've been
wondering what people's attitudes are to the digital age.

snip

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the list.  What you are doing is exactly what I have been doing
for about two years.  If there is anyone who objects to digitizing film, I
haven't seen this person's writing on this list.  Quite the opposite
really.  You'll find yourself a brace of supporters here.

The idea of a digital back has been strongly championed from time to time.
The Imagek insert is often mentioned when the digital back is discussed as
a more likely prospect. There was some discussion of the Imagek cartridge
earlier today.  I suspect that Olympus would say that for what they would
have to charge for a digital back, you could buy several of Olympus'
digital cameras.  I would expect to see an OM-5 and OM-6 before a digital
back, but I don't expect to see any of those things.

Which leaves us with film and a good scanner.  I think it's the best way to
go digital right now.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA