Re: [OM] Re:OM System & Digital Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:OM System & Digital Photography
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 23:52:51 -0500
At 09:15 PM 6/12/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello There!
>    I'm fairly new to photography and this list as well.  As i went to go
>buy a loupe today at some of the local camera stores (I came up empty
>handed! Please, someone recommend a loupe to buy that has included light so
>i dont have to spend $$ on a table too!)  I brought up the question of
>scanning and slides.  Remember I'm very new to the finer life of photography
>so I still hadn't descided wether I was going to concentrate on Slide Or
>print film for my upcomming trip to costa rica.  He said his company did
>custom scanning at any resolution and dpi!  For 2.00 a slide they will scan
>a slide at 340 dpi and 2000x something resolution.  I recently purchased a
>Epson Stylus Color 850 and it prints at 1440 dpi.  WOW!!  Some of philip
>greenspuns prints from photo.net came out incredible!  So, I hear so much
>talk about slides vs. prints, and now that the digital age is finally
>catching up in quailty i've descided to focus my skill in the next two weeks
>on slide film.

snip

Hi Jeff,

Good decision to go with slides, as they are sharper than negs. But negs
are often easier to scan because the negative is easier for the scanner to
pull within its dynamic range.  I've found that Provia is a very good
compromise solution among slide films for scanning. It's quite beautiful
and scans well, having very little of the noisy shadows that can plague
scans of Velvia once in while. Its shadows are also less bluish than Velvia
(which is a characteristic of the film, not the scanning process).

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA