[OM] OM System digital possibilities

Subject: [OM] OM System digital possibilities
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 06:55:06 -0400
On: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 01:50:18 +0800
ALFRED GOH <sable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>
I am not an engineer but maybe someone could enlighten me as to the next
points I am going to make.  IMO, it should be cheaper to produce a CCD
with a larger surface area while maintaining resolution of a smaller
CCD.  What I mean is that for the same resolution, wouldn't increasing
the Die Size mean that the cost is lower?  Another trade-off would be
more sensitive photo-receptors as the size is larger?  Therefore, isn't
it easier for them to build such an array?
<snip>

I'm not an engineer either, Alfred, but I believe that increasing the
die size will always increase the cost.  Also, a 24x36 size chip would
be a monster compared to most chips.  The problem in semi-conductor
manufacturing has always been to make the die size smaller.  This not
only shrinks the circuit and makes it faster but also increases the
manufacturing yield by giving you 1) more chips from the same silicon
wafer and 2) more chips that work.

The number of chips that work would probably be the controlling issue
for a 24x36mm chip.  Manufacturing defects in chip manufacture are
random and spread across the wafer.  Each defect (say, a dust speck)
will kill a chip.  Maybe someone else knows how likely it is to produce
a defect free 24x36 chip.  My guess is that it's extremely difficult.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts