Re: [OM] NiMH Batteries (somewhat OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] NiMH Batteries (somewhat OT)
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:48:00 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Rand E. Tomcala wrote:

>Basically, a NiCad is in some ways stupid.  It has very little in the
>way of internal resistance and when shorted is very capable of
>delivering a very high amperage rate.  If the circuit has no current
>limiting feature in it, it turns into a toaster.
>Rand E.

>> <snip>
>> Is there a reason older flashes/cameras specified no NiCd?

But how can it short out inside a device? If there's an internal screwup,
even an alkaline will fry the sucker....
And yes, NiCds can deliver, and WILL deliver. I had a very distinct
experience with that. To cut it short, 4 D sized 1800maH Sanyos, me, a
high tolerance electronic speed control, tall geared gearbox in a high
speed racing model truck driven on hilly terrain on an "05" motor. Melted
the solder connecting wires to motor, and melted ball bearings INSIDE the
motor. Whew! 30-40 amps.

/Acer Victoria
--
"Once I thought that I was in control / But that was just another trick of
fate / Playing with my life / There have been some times / I was so tied