Re: [OM] F280 vs 3rd party Fill Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] F280 vs 3rd party Fill Flash
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 23:22:48 EDT

> For instance, if I'm shooting guys wearing
>  hats at noon and don't want them to have identical shadow-faces, but
>  don't want to expose the additional stop and wash out their
>  surroundings, which will serve as the better fill flash?
>
>  BBB

I think Tomoko posted a graph (which is probably in the F280 blurb that you
ordered) and if you're using ISO 100 film at f/4 and 1/250 the F280 will give
correct exposure at about 1.8 meters and half of correct exposure at about
2.5 meters. But this whole picture is complicated by the fact that the F280
and the OM4T computation integrates natural light with the light from the
flash. Does anyone know the ratios or how the OM4T does this calculation?  I
just bought an extension cord for the F280 off of Ebay and am looking for an
inexpensive F280.

Earlier posts have also mentioned that only the OM3T will allow complete
control of the aperture, shutter speed and therefore the amount of fill
flash. Complete control is allowed because the OM3T does not integrate
natural light into the calculations. As much as I would like to own an OM3T,
this ability is not quite enough to push me in this direction. Certainly
other systems (N____) have much more elegant and simple solutions to this
problem (just dial the fill flash in).

Warren