Re: [OM] NiMH Batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] NiMH Batteries
From: Bob Sull <w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 07:49:24 -0400
Chip Stratton wrote:

> I believe it is because in most flash applications, alkaline cells are
> current limited. NiCads can supply a MUCH higher current early in the charge
> cycle, which an older flash circuit may not be designed to handle. At the
> same time, due to their lower voltage than alkalines, NiCads might not
> charge such a flash to its maximum voltage and output.
>
> Chip Stratton
> cstrat@xxxxxxxxx

While I agree with the "current" portion of this post I must ask this.

Are you saying that when the "flash ready" light comes on, it really isn't
ready?  What happens when an alkaline battery pack becomes depleted?  What does
the "flash ready" light mean then?

What about newer flash units that are capable of using NiCd packs?  The voltage
from these is lower but they also get the flash charged up.

IMHO. the lower voltage of a NiCd pack has little effect on the amount of charge
the flash capacitor receives.  It will need recharging sooner than an alkaline
pack will need replacing, but that's about all.....

Bob
--
                   //////
                  ( 0 0 )