RE: [OM] Extension rings magnification tables (long)

Subject: RE: [OM] Extension rings magnification tables (long)
From: "Riek,Chris" <criek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:47:48 -0400
To get the magnification, just divide the focal length of the
lens by the extension added. This is of course assuming
that you are focused to infinity. That means that a 50mm
lens requires 50mm of extension to reach 1:1 (remember
that the lens is focused to infinity) The 50mm lens I read
racks in and out about 7mm. So, it you are focusing the
lens down to its closest focusing, it is an automatic 7mm
of extension. So, your results were close:

        >    13 + 21 + 31  : 1,24x <-> 1,40x

The actual magnification is as follows:
(13+21+31)/50 = 1.3 (focused to infinity)
(7+13+21+31)/50 = 1.44 (focused to minimum close)

Hope that helps out!

-Chris Riek

        <SNIP>