[OM] Flassh, batteries power, ect.

Subject: [OM] Flassh, batteries power, ect.
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:51:12 -0700
>From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Flassh, batteries power, ect.
>
>The biggest complaint I have with the T-32 system on loaction is the
>lack of a 3rd party power source...
>
>If anyone knows a good power source for the T-32 that will work like a
>Lumadyne let me know.

The hardest part is the connector. If anyone knows a reasonably cheap
source of these connectors, please let me know!

Once you have the connector, it's pretty easy to make an AC power source
out of about $15 of Radio Shack parts. You need a 150 VAC transformer, a
250PIV bridge rectifier, a 250V filter capacitor, and misc bits like case,
AC cord, hook-up wire, terminal strips, etc.

I've successfully coaxed a cheap AC power inverter into giving me 200VDC,
which then feeds into the T-32 to give you a rapid-cycling 12VDC power
source. I use it with lead acid gel-cels in the field with the T-10 ring
light, also. It is not a project for the inexperienced. I had to re-wind a
high-frequency transformer, and I built the proper T-32 connector with some
pins for Molex connectors and hot glue! It's ugly, but it works. It will
re-charge a fully emptied T-32 in under 3 seconds or so.

While I was at it, I should have also popped a 6VDC regulator IC in there
for modelling lights. Hmmm... next time I crack the case open...

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229