Re: [OM] OM4T / hightlight & shadow control

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4T / hightlight & shadow control
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 01:27:44 +0000
At 03:39 6/17/99 , George wrote:
>       Charlie,
>       Hitting the HiLITE or SHADOW buttons after taking multi-spot readings
>would seem to defeat the purpose of taking the time to use the multi spot
>feature, no?  After all, the purpose of multi-spot is to fine-tune the
>exposure, and then to hit HiLITE or SHADOW would throw out all of your work
>and the camera's computation in figuring an exposure.

I think for most multi-spot usage you're right . . . why I had never
thought of multi-spotting and hitting one of the buttons before . . . and
why I was initially surpised at the results of my experiment.

Then I realized it gives a different path to fine-tune exposure under
certain circumstances.  There have been times I've wanted all the deep
shadow detail and didn't care about the highlights;  other times I've
wanted the reverse . . . and had to hunt around for which spot has the
deepest shadow (or highest highlight).  You'd still have to spot them all
(shadows or highlights), but you don't have to worry about which spots they
were afterwards, clear all the spots, single spot and "hilight" or
"shadow."  Just spot all of them, hit the hilight or shadow button as
appropriate, and shoot.  It's not something I'd want to do all the time,
but under certain situations it can save some steps in tweaking the exposure.

-- John