Re: [OM] OM4T / hightlight & shadow control

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4T / hightlight & shadow control
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:13:07 EDT
In a message dated 6/17/99 2:06:41 AM EST, jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I think for most multi-spot usage you're right . . .
                                        < snip >
 Then I realized it gives a different path to fine-tune exposure under
 certain circumstances.  There have been times I've wanted all the deep
 shadow detail and didn't care about the highlights;  other times I've
 wanted the reverse . . . and had to hunt around for which spot has the
 deepest shadow (or highest highlight).  >>

        I would say anyone is asking for trouble by doing multi-spots and
then using      HILITE or SHADOW to tweak the exposure. I think you're liable
to get  unpredictable results, and I think it's an unnecessarily confusing
path to take to         get the desired exposure. If you're saying that it's
not easy to master the multi-   spot feature, I would say I agree with that,
only to the point where you learn it    and practice it enough, then suddenly
there's a point where it becomes "easy" or      familiar to you. My opinion
is that it's MORE difficult to learn after what multi   spot reading you
should use the HILITE/SHADOW than it is to properly learn the   multi-spot
feature itself. It seems one would be adding a further confusing step to
the mix which is redundant, to learning proper multi spot technique. After
all,    look at each multi spot reading as a form of exposure compensation in
itself,         why add another level of compensation?

        George S.