[OM] OM4T fill flash

Subject: [OM] OM4T fill flash
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:32:43 EDT
I still keep thinking about the fill-flash quandry and want to throw out a
possible solution.

The F280 has a maximum range dependent on the F stop. So if you either
position yourself beyond this range or stop down the aperture enough so that
the F280 poops out (aiming for a 1 stop underexposure for fill-flash), will
the OM4 give correct exposure to the background by adjusting the shutter
speed?  As someone posted earlier, the OM77 will automatically go from FX
sync to X sync at 1/60 but the OM4T will not. Will the OM4T just keep
reducing the shutter speed to give correct exposure to the background?

For example with ISO 100 film at f/5.6 the maximum flash distance is 2.5
m.with the chart showing 1/60 second shutter speed on the F280 Working
Distance Guide. Now if I stop down to f/8, the flash will underexpose 1 stop
but will the OM4 decrease the shutter speed to 1/30 to compensate?

Will this work at higher shutter speed? I don't think so because the OM4 will
reduce the shutter speed to compensate.

BTW, someone just offered me an F280 so I will be able to put all my
speculations to a test.

Warren