Re: [OM] OT - slide projector recomendation

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - slide projector recomendation
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 20:24:25 EDT
        I have owned a number of slide projectors including Leitz projectors
and the Leitz projectors were much better than anything else I have owned or
used.
        The Kodak projectors vary from budget horrors to units designed for
AV use which are reasonable but cost almost as much as the Leitz units and
the lenses aren't as good. Avoid the zoom lenses they generally seem much
worse with a very curved field of focus. Older Leitz units are quite noisey.
Used units from many manufacturers often need the rubber belts driving the
fans replaced. If you can't get the belt from the manufacturer the "Projector
belt company" can always supply a suitable replacement mail order in US.  If
you want to synchronize units for dissolve fades etc you need units designed
for av use which are usually more expensive. Rollei made a two projector in
one dissolve unit with fader etc for some years that was relatively
reasonably priced but I think they no longer manufacture it.
        In decreasing order of quality of projectors I have used or owned:
      Leitz,
      Rollei
      Kodak (expensive,German made)
        Zeis Ikon
        Kodak (cheap non German made)

I have heard that some Kindermann units were reasonable but have no
experience.

keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx asked:

<<
 I've sometimes wondered about buying a 90mm Colorplan for it but I don't
 know whether I'd have to buy a new set of condensers as well. Does anybody
 know?

This was certainly true for my Rollei projector which required a different
condenser lens. I also owned a 50mm Leitz on a very old pradovit which I
sadly sold for much less than I would have to pay for a used lens today. I
currently have the 90mm Colorplan that I am very happy with but the 50mm is
nice for small rooms.

Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx