Re: [OM] OT - slide projector recomendation

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - slide projector recomendation
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 20:17:29 +0200
Keith (R.K.) Berry wrote:

> ...and I eventually
> bought a used Pradovit Color fitted with a 50mm Colorplan.
> I've sometimes wondered about buying a 90mm Colorplan for it but I don't
> know whether I'd have to buy a new set of condensers as well. Does anybody
> know?

The Pradovit Color 2 don´t need an special condenser. The standard
condenser is designed to be used with lenses from 50-200mm.
So I would assume, your, very similar projector, won´t need new
condensors. Your projector manuall should answer that.

HI100@xxxxxxx wrote:

>         I have owned a number of slide projectors including Leitz projectors
> and the Leitz projectors were much better than anything else I have owned or
> used.

Leitz produces a range of projectors of very different price and
quality.

> Avoid the zoom lenses they generally seem much
> worse with a very curved field of focus.

Good zoom lenses for projectors are much more expensive (several times)
than fixed focal lens of the same quality.

> Older Leitz units are quite noisy.

..., but they cool the slides very efficently. Your slides will last
longer.

Kodak S-AV projectors are equall noisy, and later modesls will cool the
slides as eficient as an Pradovit.

> Rollei made a two projector in
> one dissolve unit with fader etc for some years that was relatively
> reasonably priced but I think they no longer manufacture it.

Rollei Twin35

The Rollei projector is still made (or better, his succesor). His price
is on par with the expensive Leica ones. But of course, you get a second
projection unit and an disolve unit included. It´s an 150W unit, but
test have shown, that it produce an image as bright as most 250W
modelsl, due to the use of better designed condensors with MC coating.

>         In decreasing order of quality of projectors I have used or owned:
>       Leitz,

Depends on the model. There are the "real" and expensive Leica
Projectors, (Pradovit C, CA 250 150, 2502, Color 2, 2000, 2002 etc.
essential the same model) and the medium to low price projectors, which
were made by Kinderman, until Leica bought Zett.
The top class Leitz/Leica projector design has not changed much and they
were always very good projectors.

>       Rollei

Additionaly to the Twin model, there is an new 6x6 MF Rollei projector,
which also accepts 35mm straight slide trays. So an MF and 35mm
photographer need only one projector.

>       Kodak (expensive,German made)

S-AV 20xx, replaced by the even more expensive EktaPro models. S-AV are
good projectors, if you can get an used one at an resonable price. There
is an huge market of used lense for this projectors, 25mm-300mm and
beyond, shift, etc., everything you need at very resonable prices.
There were also the S-AV 10xx models, an (failed) attempt of Kodak to
produce more reasonable priced projectors for the European market. It
had , in contrast to the all metal body of the 20xx models, an (robust)
plastic housing.

>         Zeis Ikon

No longer available under this lable. The Zett company, which used to
produce projectors under the Zeiss Ikon lable, has been sold by Zeiss to
Leica. The medium to low price Leica projectors are now made by Zett. So
the former Zeiss Ikon and Zett projectors are sold (with modifications)
under the Leica brand.
BTW Zett also produces the expensive Hasselblad carousel projector.

> I have heard that some Kindermann units were reasonable but have no
> experience.

Kinderman used to produce for Leitz there middle price projectors until
Leica bought Zett and used their projectors instead. The actual (silent
model) generation is a new construction and in fact much more silent
than the most other projectors. I´ve heard different opinons about the
mechanical quality of this projectors, they are made (as usual today)
with lots of plastic.

Mark Dapoz wrote:

> Although I believe this to be true for the "better" Leitz projectors, my
> experience shows that the lower end Leitz is not that great.  I've
> owned a P150 for about 4 years now and I've been very disappointed with
> its build quality.
> ... Is this
> the kind of quality I expect from Leitz?  Of course not.  I think they
> went a little too cheap when they designed the P150

The P150 is sold to an price equall to an new 50mm/1.8 Zuiko. So someone
should not expect to much in this price class regardless if it is called
Leica, Zeiss Ikon or Zett.

> I also find that the P150 has problems keeping the entire
> image in focus, but I don't know if the others are any better.

Cheap Hector 3 element plastic lens..? Or is it just missing cooling?
Slides get much hotter in an P150 than in the top models.

C.H.Ling wrote:

> I also have a P255 (a medium price range Leica product) and a colorplan
> P2 90/2.5. The quality of the lens is very good but the mechanism is really
> bad. The backward control fail intermittently, when you press once, it
> continue to go backward until end of roll. It is not a switch contact
> problem but something wrong inside the circuitry. The mechanism is even
> poorer than my old cheap Zeiss projector.

The P255/P300 are IMHO just "grown-up" versions of the P150, a lot of
plastic is used in both version as you already mentioned.
I would expect an more noticable increase in quality with the P600
model, based on the former top Zeiss-Ikon/Zett projector with metal base
and an slide transport mechanism made out of metal parts.

Another projector maker is Braun, their top models are comparable to the
Leica P600 models at an more modest price (1/2 to 2/3 of Leica price).
Look for the Paximat and avoid the Novamat models. There are very good
lenses available for this projectors, comparable or even better than the
Colorplan, made by Doctar Optics. The company Doctar Optics now belongs
to the Leica group.
A wild guess, maybe this excelent Doctar lens, made for Braun, is also
sold as Super Colorplan? Anyway, the Ultralit 90mm/2.5 costs nearly half
the price of an Super-Colorplan 90mm/2.5.
There is also an projector lens available with build in aperture, improves
sharpness with glassless slide mounts. Rollei sells such an lens too.

An projector is the equivalent to the taking camera. So someone should
choose projector and lens as carefully as one has choosen other photo
equipment.
To me it seems reasonably to spend as much for projector and lens
as one has spend for an camera with lens.

Keith Berrys Leitz Pradovit projector might have been expensive, but it
is an excellent projector which should render sharp and contrasty
images. Good projectors tend to last long, so he will enjoy the quality
of this projector in the future.
If Keith would had been cheap and bought an inferior low quality, low
cost projector, he might had to replace it already because of break down,
bad image quality, etc.
The (then expensiv) Pradovit still works and delivers an up to date
image quality, the used price of this projector might be as high as the
former new price.
So total costs of ownership is lower with an long lasting quality product.

I personaly don´t understand people, complaining about the price of high
quality projectors, but buying computer products, without an blink of the
eye, which will devaluate within months and break down within 2-3 years.

For quality concious people short on money, I would suggest to buy an used
top class projector. There are some bargains, you need just a little bit
patience and there is not much risk, because pro grade projectors wont wear
out while used by amateurs.

Regards

Richard