[OM] The SWITCH of DISCORD.

Subject: [OM] The SWITCH of DISCORD.
From: kelton <kelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 99 16:29:46 -0700
The question, "Should you let the projector's fan run, after the bulb is
turned off, or just shut the whole unit off," appears to be the APPLE OF
DISCORD of questions to projectionists (if this reference doesn't make
sense to you, reread your Greek mythology). Ask an individual (and I have
asked dozens) and you get cock-sure answers brimming with confidence --
BUT NO CONSENSUS. Ask a group this same question and you get a verbal
BRAWL, as we have started here. Since I helped ignite the divisiveness
with a question I knew might go ballistic, perhaps I can help "cool" it
now.

I primarily use an Ektagraphic IIIA projector for my lectures &
presentations. So I called Kodak. Waiting on line for agonizing minutes
as the Kodak staff learned how to operate their phone system, I was
transferred half-a-dozen times until I got this answer from a resident
technogeek:

"Since the Ektagraphic IIIA is a modern projector, it's best to simply
shut the unit off. Don't run the fan. If it were an older projector, the
fan should be run."

So, from this answer I've learned: 1) Kodak may be on the vanguard of
digital technology, but can't figure out how to use its own phone system.
Too damned many buttons, I guess. 2) It appears the debate of "run-don't
run" DEPENDS on the age of the projector, at least, for Kodak projectors.
This may account for the acrimonious nature of this discussion -- perhaps
people with different answers are right, for different projectors. People
forget their knowledge is model-specific, and refuse to back down from
the positions they know are correct for their own units. 3) For people
like me, who exchange the entire light/heatsink drawer, rather than just
the bulb itself (when a bulb is rude enough to expire mid-lecture,) the
"fan only" switch is, like men's nipples, functionally worthless. (I said
FUNCTIONALLY. I don't want to hear what you're thinking about my analogy,
don't tell me.)