Re: [OM] Sunny 16?

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunny 16?
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 00:41:55 +0100
From: Richard Schaetzl

>"Usefullness" is debateable, but at least, with DIN numbers it´s easy to
>calculate in 1/3 stops, because 1 DIN equalls to 1/3 stop.

DIN ratings convey better to me the speed difference between films. 200 ISO
sounds so much faster than 100 but in practice it's only one stop and 24 to
21 DIN makes this a bit more obvious.

Also film speed settings on cameras & meters engraved with ISO ratings in
the thousands are too small to read clearly, but they'd still only be 2
digits in DIN, and would look a lot neater.

Still, the universal adoption of any one system is better than it was when I
started photography (with Ilford Selochrome) in the '50s when film leaflets
listed up to 6 "standards," some linear and some logarithmic, to choose
from.

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx