Re: [OM] origin of film speed values [was: Sunny 16?]

Subject: Re: [OM] origin of film speed values [was: Sunny 16?]
From: "Wiese" <wiese@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:23:28 +1000
- -----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxx>
To: Olympus mail list <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, June 21, 1999 7:00 PM
Subject: Re: [OM] Sunny 16?

snip

>I'll go just a bit further and assert that this is actually where our
>film speed ratings come from.  The ISO rating is the inverse of the
>correct shutter speed using the "sunny 16" rule.

.... I think this is putting the cart before the horse....

>  An ISO 400 speed film
>will yield correct exposure under bright sun at f/16 with a shutter
>speed of 1/400 second.  Fortunately, the ISO rating is based on the old
>ASA standard and not the DIN standard.  The DIN number was "just a
>number".  It didn't have a useful meaning like the ASA/ISO value. Now
>the young whippersnappers will have to ask: "What's DIN?"  "What's ASA?"

 - the ASA system is an arithmetical progression based on the gradient of a
film's charasteristic curve at a point near the foot of the curve (the speed
point - determined at a constant density value just above base+fog ); the
DIN system calculates the speed in precisely the same manner, but records
differences in a logarithmic progression; at least, that's how I understand
it <donning flame-proof suit, just in case...>

The ISO system didn't do away with either system, but combined them, eg
100/21º. Convention now means the first half is often used alone.

IMHO this is a pity, because the DIN system gives an (apparently) more
consistent and comprehensible set of values than ASA - particularly with 1/3
stops, the generally accepted professional standard.

By way of example, Kodak's hype that it's Tmax 3200 film can be rated at ASA
50 000, is just a three stop push, from 36 to 45 DIN, always 9 numbers,
whereas if you push an ASA100 film 3 stops, you get ASA 800 (21 to 30 DIN) -
so the relationships look skewed with ASA values, unless you think in
multiplications :-)

Sorry for my long-windedness (an probably my lack of clarity)...

Cheers

Andy