Re: [OM] slide projector handling OT now

Subject: Re: [OM] slide projector handling OT now
From: Wayne Shumaker <shumaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:50:00 -0400
>YES. It's not so much the temperature rising or falling slowly/fast, etc.
>Some people misunderstand and think the rapid change in temp. is bad.

to beat this one to death - I would have to agree with George. What
usually burns out a bulb is the surge of current when you first turn
it on, not the change in temperature. The resistance is much lower when
the filament is cold than when it is hot, hence it pulls more current
when you first turn it on. If there is a weak spot, it will burn out
there. The filament is weaker when hot, so the quicker it cools, the
less likely it is to be damaged. The rate it cools or heats shouldn't
matter, as it is current that blows the bulb. My thoughts on the matter.

Wayne

PS, thanks for all the very informative info on slide projectors. It
has been very helpful.