[OM] OM10 & 3rd Party Flash Use

Subject: [OM] OM10 & 3rd Party Flash Use
From: "Graeme Arlidge" <server@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:34:39 +0000
Hi
 I sent this message earlier but don't know if it was accepted so
apologies if it's appeared before.   I've owned Olympus gear in the
past, Pen F, FT, 35SP, OM2SP and OM707 (the only one I regretted) but
never an  OM10.  Anyway I just bought one  2nd hand because I
couldn't pass it up at the price and it just feels so light after the
F90X I carry at the moment!
My  question is  about flash on the OM10. I have an old Vivitar 283
which I am keen to use on it but there is no manual speed for X
synch.   I don't have the manual adapter and although I do still have
an old T32 it has the broken shoe malady.  (just saw the fix on the
FAQ but I'm not sure if the parts are  available here in NZ).

The funny thing is when you put the flash in the shoe and it is
charged the camera seems to use about 1/60th of a second.  Is this
normal?  The camera indicates about 1 second but the speed sounds
right..

Can anyone throw any light on this.  I would be very grateful.
Regards
Graeme Arlidge
NZ