RE: [OM] Night shots/Space Shuttle launch

Subject: RE: [OM] Night shots/Space Shuttle launch
From: "BOWEN, SCOTT M. (JSC-CC)" <scott.m.bowen1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 08:56:22 -0500
                Wow! I guess the possibilities are endless....

                I will be standing on the Mate/De-mate structure [the crane
they use to put the shuttle on top of the 747] about 3 miles, straight shot
to the launch pad.

                I guess this is one of the fringe benefits of working on the
shuttle training aircraft.......

                Thanks for all the info, I am really glad I stumbled onto
this list.

                I also thought about the series of shots, but I can't put a
winder on my OM-101....another good reason to get an OM-10 or another
model....

                , 24 Jun 1999, gary edwards wrote:

                >Scott,
                >
                >I've only shot tactical missile launches, in daylight, so I
don't have
                >specific suggestions for exposure.   I do know that solid
rocket plumes are
                >very much brighter than you might expect.  Your best
resources are likely
                >within NASA itself, if not JSC, probably KSFC.  Let us know
what you find
                >out.  One suggestion, since you only get one shot at it
(pun intended), try
                >to get a second body with another film/exposure combination
for backup.
                >Contact me off list if you need a loaner
(edwardsg@xxxxxxxxx).  Good luck!

                Here are my two bits worth (disclaimer: I have no
experience):
                You might want to get a winder on the cameras, so you can
shootshootshoot.
                I'm guessing you'll be some distance from the launch, so
aperture (and
                hence DOF) won't be critical due to distance involved.
                If shooting E6, the huge scene contrast (plumes, ship) will
get dicey. If
                at all you can, shoot the shuttle itself; of course, you can
burn and
                dodge the print and shoot the whole thing in it's fiery
glory.
                All that said, if I were there, I'd keep the one aperture
(wide open), and
                shoot as fast as I can during lift-off, and bracket by
changing shutter
                speed (or vice versa--constant shutter, vary aperture).
Since you have
                only one ring to turn, you can change that one stop in the
time camera
                advances film.
                A blessing in this case would be the F100 and the 1100-1700
Nikkor zoom
                (can I have that in AFS please? <G>)(not quite certain on
the Nikkor's
                range, but it's around that).
                If you'd like to see some videos and still pictures etc, my
page (link
                below) has links to JPL/NASA under the photo section. Best,

                /Acer Victoria
                --
                "When you think you've tried every road / Every avenue /
Take one more

                < Web Page: http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright/olympuslist.html