[OM] Electrical non-wizardry

Subject: [OM] Electrical non-wizardry
From: Chris Johns <lc-johns@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 15:57:13 -0500
After getting the OM 6V battery pack (on ebay at a high price, of course) I
decided I liked the suggestions presented by certain members of this group
to make my own. So, I proceeded to put together a lightweight AA version,
using a battery holder (Radio shack), and a coiled appliance chord (local
Ace Hardware) and the end-plug from Radio Shack (part number specified by
Mark-thankyou). I soldered it together, and hooked it up for a quick
test...it works, in the sense that my modeling lights in the T-10 run off
it just fine. I proceeded to make a nifty holder (in lieu of the child's
sock ;-) out of black rip-stop nylon, in keeping with the fashion statement
of the rest of the OM system. I sewed 2 strips of velcro to this case, so I
can pop it on top my T-power control. Sounds great, huh?

Well, I got it all together and went to take a picture??? and after having
it on for a minute (at most) the coil and BATTERIES are as hot as charcoal
in a barbeque! OK. I can accept now that I am definitely NOT a wizard with
electronics, or maybe I can't solder correctly. My first thought is that
the coil wire? caused the problem...it's for a small appliance. Maybe the
resistance is not enough (or too much??) Such deliberation shows what I
DON'T know.

I have some other wire, and could redo it. I like the coil though, cause
it's more flexible and easier to keep out of the way (and pack in a bag).

Polarity shouldn't be an issue, and I made every effort to match that
(positive to the central pole??) OOPS. Could THAT be the problem? I thought
it didn't matter with the T-10...

I'm game for any suggestions those of you who have trod before me have.

Thanks much,
Chris

ChrisJohns
Illinois Natural History Survey