Re: [OM] Electrical non-wizardry

Subject: Re: [OM] Electrical non-wizardry
From: Bob Sull <w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 19:57:44 -0400
Chris Johns wrote:

> After getting the OM 6V battery pack (on ebay at a high price, of course) I
> decided I liked the suggestions presented by certain members of this group
> to make my own. So, I proceeded to put together a lightweight AA version,
> using a battery holder (Radio shack), and a coiled appliance chord (local
> Ace Hardware) and the end-plug from Radio Shack (part number specified by
> Mark-thankyou). I soldered it together, and hooked it up for a quick
> test...it works, in the sense that my modeling lights in the T-10 run off
> it just fine. I proceeded to make a nifty holder (in lieu of the child's
> sock ;-) out of black rip-stop nylon, in keeping with the fashion statement
> of the rest of the OM system. I sewed 2 strips of velcro to this case, so I
> can pop it on top my T-power control. Sounds great, huh?
>
> Well, I got it all together and went to take a picture??? and after having
> it on for a minute (at most) the coil and BATTERIES are as hot as charcoal
> in a barbeque! OK. I can accept now that I am definitely NOT a wizard with
> electronics, or maybe I can't solder correctly. My first thought is that
> the coil wire? caused the problem...it's for a small appliance. Maybe the
> resistance is not enough (or too much??) Such deliberation shows what I
> DON'T know.
>
> I have some other wire, and could redo it. I like the coil though, cause
> it's more flexible and easier to keep out of the way (and pack in a bag).
>
> Polarity shouldn't be an issue, and I made every effort to match that
> (positive to the central pole??) OOPS. Could THAT be the problem? I thought
> it didn't matter with the T-10...
>
> I'm game for any suggestions those of you who have trod before me have.
>
> Thanks much,
> Chris

> ___________
> ChrisJohns
> Illinois Natural History Survey
> Center for Economic Entomology
> 163 Natural Resources Building  MC-652
> 607 E. Peabody Drive
> Champaign, Illinois  61820
>
> lc-johns@xxxxxxxx

The AA cells are probably hot because you're sucking a lot of current from
them.  Unless you have a short, the cord should not cause a problem.  Go back to
RadShack and get a D cell holder and use D cells.  They have a higher capacity
than AA cells and should run cooler.  Or search the 'net and see if you can get
a decent sized high capacity gel cell battery.

Bob

--
                   //////
                  ( 0 0 )