Re: [OM] Soligor lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Soligor lenses
From: "Dunay Gejza" <hadesia@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 08:50:54 +0200
>I've never seen one I liked and never had one in hand to test,
although I now
>have a 2X converter from Soligor.  My expectations of the latter are
so low
>that I am loth to commit to testing it.  Looked at another way, there
are a
>lot of junker lenses out that would just eat up resources to test.
>
>Gary Reese
>Las Vegas, NV

I believed that is USA one is inocent until proven guilty. You method
looks for me enough scientific and well acceptable so I can see the
result and make a decision to buy some lens or not.  If i will see the
results of 2-3 lenses from each brand that is that nice and produce
some lenses in Olympus mount, it will be a great helf for me.
You need to understand that I (and I believe they are others on this
list, too) do not have and probably never will to buy the best
available lenses like Zuiko 350/2.8 and many others, or we for examle
Canon  4/600 image stabilisation with EOS 3 ...
Therefore I must find the compromises between cheap brand and I do not
believe that all will be the same quality.
I need to find somethink for mammal and bird photography and in fact
it doesnt  exist satisfied possibility for it  - not speaking about
price - because 350 with 1.4 convertor will be only 490 mm and this is
not enough (and I will never have it).
Therefore tests of zooms like Tokina 150-500 or Soligor 120-600 or any
other brand will be very interesting for me. I know that on the long
end it will be not wonder and it is not fair to compare bild quality
with for example 50/2 Zuiko makro (but this is not possibly even by my
60-200/4.0). But my question is: Are they producing a little
acceptable images or only crap? And here will help your test a lot.
And BTW, Soligor has some new lenses (I do not know if they produce it
or do it somebody in Asia. I was there and there are producing
something but I do not know they are TV, videos, lenses or flashes (I
hard believe that flashes they produce on their own)) that were
displayed on Photokina exibition and in tests of German photomagazines
they got mark "very well". I do not believe that they are not worth
testing.

Gejza Dunay
Slovak republic