Re: [OM] Halos and Fisheyes OT Sky and Telescope; OM at the south pole

Subject: Re: [OM] Halos and Fisheyes OT Sky and Telescope; OM at the south pole
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 21:28:41 EDT

> Speaking of S&T, in the Gallery section of the August 1999 issue there is
an

>  impressive pic of a halo complex around the sun taken at the south pole.
>  Equipment used: OM-4 and 16mm fisheye (it doesn't specify if it was a
Zuiko -

>  are there any 3rd party 16mm fisheyes out there?)
>
>  Paul Schings

First, there is a 3P 16mm fisheye, the Sigma. A local store wanted $250 so I
passed on it. I eventually found a nice Zuiko 16mm on Ebay, from a person
with no sales history and who wouldn't answer any Email. I took a chance
because I knew he lived about 1 mile from me so I could always knock on his
door.

As to the halo, I took a photo of a double halo around the sun on the
Guatemalan-Honduran border about 1971. My eq. at the time was a Pentax
spotmatic with a Lentar 20mm but I could not get the bigger halo into the
picture.  If I only had my Zuiko. The Honduran guard kept lowering his
machine gun lower and lower wondering what this crazy Americano was doing
taking a picture of the sky.  Like he saw these double halos everyday. I
didn't have as much time as I wanted and quickly had to get into the jeep to
continue on when the gun was pointed at my belly button. Does anyone know
what this type of halo is called?  It has something to do with the index of
refraction of ice crystals.

Warren