[OM] Spiratone 400/6.3

Subject: [OM] Spiratone 400/6.3
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 07:47:41 -0700
>From: "Dunay Gejza" <hadesia@xxxxxxxx>
>
>What do you think about use of this old lens?

I had one. It was okay, but certainly not wonderful. I gave it to my dad,
who uses it now and then on a Minolta.

>I propose that it need
>to be stopped down manually.

Yes, it's a T-mount lens, with a pre-set diphram.

>How sharp it is wide open? And contrast?

I found it to be a little soft wide open, and fairly low contrast. Photos
with it lacked "punch," and looked a bit washed out.

>Do you think that it is
>possibly to take some good animal pictures with it?

I had a lot of fun with it. I used it to shoot an entire roll of the full
moon in various positions, then I re-wound the roll, carefully leaving the
leader out, and then double-exposed it for some really interesting shots.
Since the full moon is pretty high-contrast, it worked okay.

I also did some bird photos with it. They were okay, but not wonderful. But
I was a starving student at the time, and it was all I could afford.

It is a good lens for someone on a tight budget, especially if you get a
good deal on a used one. (I think I saw one go for under $50 on eBay.) But
I think it is about $100 new, in which case, I would try to spend some more
money to get a Tamron or Tokina, which should be under $400 or so, and a
lot better.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229