Re: [OM] Rotunda Photo [Was Oxford / Radcliffe Camera [Was: Long: An Iri

Subject: Re: [OM] Rotunda Photo [Was Oxford / Radcliffe Camera [Was: Long: An Irish mystery
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 10:20:21 -0400
 "John Hudson" <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>Chris - I'm not from Oxford but I did spend 4 years there and I'm pretty
>>sure that it is not in the dark blue city.
>>
>>Then again I was drunk a fair bit of the time .........
>
>best wishes, David
>
>I don't have the original message but I have a URL to what I recall looked
>like the Radcliffe Camera in Oxford. Check out
>http://users.ox.ac.uk/~kebl0613/3.html
I did check out and realized that I was in Oxford for a very short time of 2
hours.  I took a photo of the Radcliffe Camera (I managed only a partial view).

Then I looked at the Rotunda Photo Giles put up at the Unofficial Olympus
Gallery.

This structure reminds me something else I have seen in England.  I located a
photo of the structure in my Salisbury file.  Giles' Rotunda looks similar to
the Poultry Cross in Salisbury.  It is not exactly like it, but according to my
information, there are four remaining market crosses in England (I presume,
rather than the whole UK).  The Poultry Cross is one of them.  You can look at
the Poultry Cross at the following:
http://www.net2000.co.uk/hp/milfordhall/facility.htm

Perhaps somebody else can identify other market crosses.

There may have been other market crosses in Salisbury.  The Poultry Cross, which
I saw and walked inside the hexagonal structure, looked to be the oldest.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/

jh