[OM] purchasing dilemna

Subject: [OM] purchasing dilemna
From: "Bau Struye" <Bau.Struye@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 14:26:08 -0700
Hello on the Olympus list.

I have been using Olympus equipment since the mid 70s and went through an OM-1,
a couple of OM-2s, OM-4, XAs etc...  But like many others when the darn kids
decided to start appearing, I had to sell all these prized possessions because
of the usual time, space and money considerations.  So for the last eight or
nine years I have had to rely on a variety of Olympus point and shoots which I
have been only mildly satisfied with (reliability of those things has been
spotty at best, unlike the dependable OM stuff).

But I am now at a point where I just can't stand the auto-everything anymore
and I need to get back into more controllable equipment.  Having been out of
the loop for a while, I would love to get some of your opinions (or pointers to
messages to deal with the same).   Here are my guiding parameters:

1.  Money:  Max $400 all included.
2.  Would prefer to buy new (mail order) because, given the reliability
problems, I want to get the Olympus extended warranty.
3.  Would prefer to have as few separate parts as possible.  Separate body,
flash, lens and winder don't mix well with 3 small children, unfortunately.
4.  I need it to have at least a small flash, a winder and lenses to cover from
28 or 35 to at least 110mm.
5.  I want to be able to add a polarizing filter.
6.  I would like to have available auto exposure

My choices seem to be:
A. Used OM2-S with some lenses and winder and flash (Great but would be hard to
meet 1, 2 and 3)

B. New OM-2000 with some used lenses + winder + flash (Hard to meet 3 and 6)

C. IS-3  (Is the power focus really a manual focus only power driven?  How
reliable is it?  Can you add a polarizing filter?)

D. IS-10  (Can it or the 20 or the 30 be set to manual focus?  If not, then I
don't want them.  If yes, what is the difference between the three?  How
reliable are they?  Can you add a polarizing filter?)

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Bau Struye