[OM] Can anyone help?

Subject: [OM] Can anyone help?
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 10:12:18 +1000
Hi all

I just received last night via mail order a used OM Motor Drive 1 with M. 18V Control Grip (no instructions). It is the very first (I think) MD1 in that it has the large shutter release button on top of the vertical part of the MD rather than the later design which had a much smaller button and also provision for the M Remote Cord. I had never seen (or even realised that there were two MD1 designs ) one of these, but I picked it up for a good price and it is in pretty good shape.

I have an MD2 and a couple of 15V Control Packs so am used to the way these sort of clip in and pivot, but this is my first experience with the vertical M18V Control Grip. The MD and Grip arrived in the parcel padded and wrapped as two separate pieces. After unwrapping, I clipped the Grip onto the bottom of the MD1, and it snapped into place quite nicely, and very securely. All was fine until I tried to remove the grip - how does it come off?

There is a square black button above the shutter trigger on the grip which slides downwards, which I presumed was the release latch to allow the grip to pivot down and out of the bottom of the MD (like the NiCd Contol Packs do), but no matter how I wriggled and jiggled the darn thing it wouldn't budge (I didn't want to exert too much force ).

I rummage around and found a couple of very early OM-1 instruction books (one of which incidentally actually shows the very early style shutter release on top of the MD1), however they only explained how to *attach* the 18V Control Grip, not how to remove it.

I then rummaged further and found a Motor Drive Group booklet from the seventies, which mentioned that the M18V Control Grip 1 has a "foolproof double locking mechanism to ensure....." the Control Grip doesn't come undone accidently.

Well, I must be a fool 'cause I certainly can't figure out the secret. I tried sliding the release latch down while pushing the shutter button (with the shutter lock lever both on and then off), I tried again with the battery holder in and then with it removed (just in case). I guess I tried just about any combination of pulling, pushing, sliding buttons/latches I could think of......

Can someone with one of these point me in the right direction please???

Someone from the OM list started posting acrobat files of scanned OM instruction manuals a while back. I visited the site ages ago and downloaded a couple of pdfs (alas non for MD1 and/or 18V Control Grip), but now I can't find the URL to see if any more have been added. Is the instruction library project still running or not? Does anone have the URL for it?

appreciate any tips/advice etc.

cheers

peter