Re:[OM] Rubinar 500mm/5.6 Macro Lens

Subject: Re:[OM] Rubinar 500mm/5.6 Macro Lens
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 10:40:34 -0400
Dunay Gejza wrote:
quoting me
>>What I understand is that in Japan there is a store in Tokyo which is
>>specializing in Russian lenses and cameras.  What they do is that not only
they do
>>sell several Rubinars in M42 mount but also would do a conversion of the
>>lens to a specific camera mount using the Kenko M42P1 to camera mount
>>adapter.
>Which adapter do we need for OM and where it is possibly to get it?
Kenko has a M42P1 screw to the OM mount.  I think this is a non-optical adapter,
which Kasai Trading, the store in Tokyo I mentioned above,  uses for the
conversion (adjusting the flange back for a particular brand camera).  As I
understand it, the store selects the best samples of their Rubinars in stock,
about 30%, and uses them for the conversion.  The converted lens costs twice as
much as the one with the original in the M42 mount.  The ad in a Japanese camera
magazine lists:

MC Rubinar 300/4.5   17,500 yen
MC Rubinar 500/8      14,500 yen
MC Rubinar 500/5.6    19,500 yen

On the other hand, it is possible for me to get an M42-OM adapter with optical
conversion lens in it.  This is available from an Internet store in Japan (not
in Tokyo).  I corresponded with the store.  The optical conversion lens would
allow infinity focusing, and yet this adapter has only 1/4 stop drop in f-value
and only 11 0ain in focal length.  The adapter is made in Japan by Bower.  (I
tried contacting BowerUSA http://www.bowerusa.com/ , but no e-mail answer so
far).  The store price is 7,800 yen. I think that there is a plain Kenko M42P1
adapter to the OM with a list price of 2,500 yen, but I don't know how I can get
one without my brother's assistance.  Porter's in the US lists several
Pentax/Praktica Screw Mount to Camera Adapters, but the OM version is not
listed.

If you would like an M42-OM adapter (Bower version with conversion lens)
directly from Japan through me, please let me know off list.  The Internet store
in Japan (www.cameya.com) wrote to me that they do not have any in stock now and
it would take two or three weeks before their next shipment. The store requires
payment in Japanese yen, but would ship to me directly.  I guess that I could
write to Cameya if they can supply a Kenko M42 -OM adapter if anyone is
interested.

>>site mentions that with the OM body, the shutter speed dial on the
>>mount makes it harder to operate the lens.
>I did not understand the sense of the sentence above (my bad English).
>Why it is harder? What is the problem to operate the lens? Can you
>explain it to me, please?
O.K. It might be my English.  The Japanese text did not elaborate in the
particular sentence.

What I guess is the following.  The Rubinar 500mm/5.6 is huge with a diameter of
105mm or something like that all the way to the lens mount .  If you attach this
lens to the OM with a thin adapter, what can you visualize?  A very thin groove
between the OM body and the lens to insert your hand to rotate the shutter-speed
dial if you are using it manually.  With the OM on the auto, this problem won't
exist.  If you use the OM2000 instead of the OM-1, this won't be a problem,
either.  Another reason for Olympus to put out the OM2000 as the way it is by
Cosina without making the camera an OM-type body.

>And how adapt the lens? I probably can remove the mount with M42 screw
>and give there some OM mount adapter, but I do not know about
>diametres.
>Has somebody on this list Rubinar? I shall be very appreciated for any
>information how to adapt Rubinar to OM camera.

>http://www.os.rim.or.jp/~rey_k/hihoo/hihoo_item/rubinar/rubinar.html#
The above site does explain how to do the adaptation (not limited to the OM),
but I have never done anything like this to follow what he was talking about and
the instruction is too long for me to do the translation on a volunteer basis.

I am pretty sure that there must be somebody on the Internet who has done this
and has written instructions in English or other languages.

If you wish (although you may already have contacted Mathias Wilke), I can
contact him by e-mail since I have corresponded with him on a unrelated topic.
That is why I remember his name and I am also familiar with German names.

http://kiev.101.com.tw/

I also found the above site which deals with the Rubinars and related cameras.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/