[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1020

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1020
From: Norma Foltz <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 10:48:46 -0700
2. What happens if I charge the batteries for too long a period of time, say
>10 hours or so?
Ron -- Don't over charge!  Put a light timer on the charger and set it for four
hours. Here is an excerpt from  the summary of the
repair that I did after I overcharged my control pack batteries -- several
Olympus List members  helped  guide me through the
repair, and there are some new ideas there, also.
http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/camrep.faq.html#ques_O3

          ***    Notes on Recharging  ***

        The Olympus charger performs a quick charge.  The current is about
        26-30 mA, although the specifications say 36 mA. Olympus recommends
        charging for 4-5 hours, and this is fine for NiMH cells.

        If you want to know whether a cell is damaged or not, you must
        measure the voltage of each cell separately. A dead cell will always
        give 0 volts, as far as I know, or even a negative value (reversed
        voltage effect).

        An automatic light switch timer will allow you to set a four hour
        charging time and prevent overcharging the new battery.

Here is the link in case you need to go further into the repair:
http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/camrep.faq.html#ques_O3

By the way,  I have changed back to Nickel Cadmium batteries from the
Nickel Metal Hydride Cells and have used two entire nine volt NiCd packs
which fit nicely into the compartment.

Hank Hogan <http://www.netcom.com/~flzhgn/indexc.htm>