Re: [OM] Vivitar Zoom - Series 1 or not?

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar Zoom - Series 1 or not?
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 23:29:41 -0800
Michael Dodson wrote:

>My wife has a Vivitar Series 1 28-90, F2.8-3.5 zoom.  I want one too.
>The closest lens I have found is a 28-85 F2.8-3.8 VIVITAR MC (67) at
>KEH for $126. Any thoughts on how this would compare to the Series 1?

The 28-85mm F2.8-3.8 Vivitar is virtually identical to the Kiron with
same specs, except that the latter has a glossy metal finish (the
Vivitar is finished in matte).  Both were made by Kino Precision, one
of Japan's best independent lens makers, which is sadly no longer in
35mm optics business.  Btw, Kino also made many of the Vivitar Series 1
lenses.

The 28-85mm F2.8-3.8 lens closely resembles but isn't identical to the
above Series 1: both are 1-touch variofocal designs, with similar specs.
I have used several of these lenses, both in Kiron and Vivitar varaints,
and consider them terrific performers.  One such lens (a Vivitar!) has
a permanent place in my camera bag -- several of the Zuiks who had met
me in person can testify to that. :-)  The Kiron version was tested by
Modern Photo. sometimes in the mid-80's, and got rave reviews.  I can't
recommend this lens too highly.  KEH's price seems reasonable (depending
on condition, of course!)

Doris Fang wrote:

>    I have 28-85, and consider it a mediocre lens.

I'm surprised at Doris' evaluation.  Pls beware that Vivitar also sold
a 28-85mm F3.5-4.5 lens (not Series 1 either!), which is a completely
different animal -- not made by Kino, and AFAIK, is a rather mediocre
performer.

Good luck,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, California, USA