RE: [OM] Need info on OM dedicated Sunpak 433D

Subject: RE: [OM] Need info on OM dedicated Sunpak 433D
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 09:44:19 -0500
At 10:45 PM 7/3/99 -0400, you wrote:
>  I acquired one of these recently in a package deal and it has a manual
>with it so that is some help  -  but......
>  The unit apparently originally came with another bit of documentation
>referred to as the "Dedication Instruction Leaflet".  This is missing
>and about all I know about the unit is that the foot contact pattern is
>the same as the T-Series flashes.  One end is torn off the box and there
>are no dedication indicating markings on the flash either.  I assume
>that the dedication indicator was on the box end that is missing on
>mine.
>  If anyone has this leaflet or the information/knowledge contained
>therein, would you please come to my rescue and share it with me.  The
>flash itself seems like a very powerful and versatile unit with a GN of
>120 and tilt and swivel also.  I would like to know just how useful this
>can be.Thanks,
>Rand E.

Rand,

My module actually has a label on it which reads "SUNPAK dedicated for
Olympus Cameras."  I had to apply a thin shim of epoxy to make the contacts
on the foot of the module contact the shoe better on my OM-2S.  With the
removable shoes, contact is a little more positive.

Bill Rice recently sent me a photocopy of the documentation, but there is
nothing in this documentation about the modules themselves.  Assuming you
do indeed have the module dedicated for Olympus, the flash is extremely
versatile and compares more than favorably with Olympus flash units,
including the T32.  Using a Stroboframe-style bracket, I've stretched the
bracket all the way to the left and hung the flash upside down, in which
configuration it works well even as a macro flash in manual mode. (You need
a Duo-Sync cord for this, unfortunately, as no PC jack is available on
flash.)  The incremental settings in manual mode (1/2, 1/4, etc.) are
invaluable for this sort of close-range shooting or for background fill.
The manual scale is quite accurate if you allow an extra stop for shooting
outdoors as a starting-point.

In this sort of macro shooting, I don't use the power zoom head, but for
other "on camera" shooting, it's a nice feature.  In effect, it seems to
keep the GN stable no matter what length lens you use.  In TTL mode, the
flash is really good.  It's powerful enough with the zoom head to fill a
room with light.  For people shots or circumstances where there is an empty
area behind the subject, I cut about 2/3 of a stop on the exp. comp dial.
The usual caveats.  Kids in the bathtub go the opposite way.  Quite
predictable.  The color balance of the flash is a little warmer than the
Olympus flashes.  For on-camera people shooting, I would reach for the
Sunpak before a T20 and perhaps even a T32 because it is just enough taller
that red eye is never a problem.

A nice flash that has all but displaced my Vivitar 4600 and T32, which I
have in a box but do not use because I can't yet find a reason to.  The
T20's I still use for macro and because of their small scale and portability.

I hope something here is helpful.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA