Re: [OM] control pack 2 upgrade

Subject: Re: [OM] control pack 2 upgrade
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 19:45:02 -0700
>From: Frank van Lindert <Frank.van.Lindert@xxxxxxx>
>
>On Fri, 2 Jul 1999 13:39:55 -0700, Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:
>
>>>From: "Ron Crabtree" <crabtree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>
>>>2. What happens if I charge the batteries for too long a period of time, say
>>>10 hours or so?
>>If you want to leave a charger attached for a longer period, you should
>>either use a charger designed for such use, or a "trickle charger" that
>>puts no more than about 50mA through the cells.
>
>I don't agree with you, Jan.
>I do agree with you on the trickle charge for prolonged periods. But
>50 mA is far too much for 120-160 mAh cells (and much more than the
>Olympus charger can deliver). An acceptable trickle charge current
>would be about 2 or 3 mA!

Oops! You're right, of course, Frank. For some reason, I was thinking of AA
cells, for which 50mA would be an acceptable trickle. You should not exceed
1/10th the ampere-hour rating for trickle charging, so you could go up to
12mA or so for the "shorty" cells in the Olympus pack, which would charge
them in about 14-16 hours.

My turn to disagree -- 2 or 3 mA might take as long as four days to
recharge the pack! In fact, that would barely keep up with the
self-discharge rate of NiMH cells.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229