Re: [OM] Eclips info

Subject: Re: [OM] Eclips info
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 23:07:54 -0400
I would like to echo Richard's comments.  I observe the sun frequently.  For
this I have a highly specialized solar filter.  It is made by layering thin
deposits of metal on optical glass.  It filters over 990f UV and IR, and
decreases the intensity of transmitted while light by a factor of one
million.  The make of mine is Thousand Oaks, others make similar products.

An alternative is a thin mylar material with metal deposits.  These filters
are flexible and actually look wrinkled.  Much cheaper too.  They are very
effective and safe.  These filter make the sun look pale blue in color,
unlike mine which shows a very natural color.

A proper solar filter, or a number 14 or higher welder's glass, are the only
truly safe filters to use.   I would never, ever risk my eyesight to
anything less.  Period.  Be safe, not sorry.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far".

Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>It think 1/400 (ND 2,5 ?) is not strong enough. For photographic
>purposes ND 3,5 1/3200 filter are recomended that´s ten times as strong.
For