Re: [OM] nicad control pack 2

Subject: Re: [OM] nicad control pack 2
From: Frank van Lindert <Lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 13:22:08 GMT
On Mon, 5 Jul 1999 15:42:10 -0600, "Ron Crabtree"
<crabtree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I have two nicad 15v control pack 2's.  One was recently serviced by a
>camera repair company at a seller's expense and apparently brought up to
>factory standards.  I assume it had new nicads placed in it but I am not
>sure.  I am trying to leave it as is without taking off the selector plate
>and opening it up to see just what kind of cells are in it since it really
>works well.  Too well, I am afraid.  It is like a winder on steroids!!!.  It
>seems to go faster than 5fps and rewinds like a tornado.  My other control
>pack is one that I replaced the old nicads myself with NiMH cells(Varta
>150mAh).  It works fine, but only seems to go around 4-4.5fps and rewinds
>much slower.  Why would the new NiMh cells perform less well than the
>presumed new Nicads, or does the "winder on steroids" scenario indicate that
>I have much more powerful cells in the serviced winder than it should have?
>I know, I know, I should open it up and see, but wonder if anyone out there
>has an opinion or has ever "one on one" compared the performance of NiMH to
>NEW nicads?  Thanks.
>
>Ron Crabtree
>Santa Fe,  NM

Hi Ron.

I admit that it is difficult to get an idea of the capacity (mAh) of
the hidden steroid cells, but the voltage can easily be measured and
compared to that of the self made NiMH pack. You can also compare the
weight of the packs.
A pack without any cells puts 145 gram on the scale
A pack with original NiCad cells weighs 265 gram
A pack with 14 NIMH cells is about 225 gram

NiCads can deliver a higher current than NiMH's of the same capacity -
so they are more powerful indeed, but maybe the NiMh's will last
longer on one recharge, having a larger capacity. Just try and find
out...

If the refurbishing was done by a very good repair centre, then they
may have mounted state of art 225 mAh NiCads, which have the same
physical dimensions (incl. weight) as the old original 120mAh
'Olympus' cells. This makes a lot of difference too, both in power and
in capacity. I have one pack which I employed these cells in, and it
is very powerful. But the cells were almost four times as expensive as
the NiMh from the block batteries... and I had to solder them together
in the weird shape of the original Olympus pack myself too. A hell of
a job, I can tell you and I didn't do it ever since...

Maybe you can ask the seller which repair centre did the job and ask
them what they put in?...

Frank van L:indert
Utrecht Holland