Re: [OM] The rotunda - solved  [Was:  Long - An Irish Mystery

Subject: Re: [OM] The rotunda - solved  [Was:  Long - An Irish Mystery
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 23:48:38 -0400
Look at the Market Cross at the site below.
http://info.pitt.edu/~medart/menuengl/mainchi.html

I am curious how John Hudson managed to find this.  I tried searching "market
cross" in altavista, but had not found the Market Cross when I guessed something
similar to the Poultry Cross in Salisbury, but not identical in the type of
architecture.

Having seen the Poultry Cross in person and actually inside the structure, I
remembered the structure to be quite unique.  I wanted to take a photo, but it
was too dark by the time I got there.  I spent the next day in exploring
Winchester and Chawton on my own, so I might have forgotten about the Poultry
Cross.
Giles Stewart wrote:

>Thanks for the lead.  My wife will be in the UK in a few weeks.  Perhaps she
will be
>able to pay a visit.
>John Hudson wrote:
>> According to my well informed source in England the Rotunda is in fact  the
>> Market Cross, in  Chichester, West Sussex......about 30 miles east of
>> Southampton.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/