[OM] Re: [OM] The rotunda - solved  [Was:  Long - An Irish Mystery

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM] The rotunda - solved  [Was:  Long - An Irish Mystery
From: "John Hudson" <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 22:17:39 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Olympus List <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, July 06, 1999 9:52 PM

>Look at the Market Cross at the site below.
>http://info.pitt.edu/~medart/menuengl/mainchi.html
>
>I am curious how John Hudson managed to find this.  I tried searching
"market
>cross" in altavista, but had not found the Market Cross when I guessed
something
>similar to the Poultry Cross in Salisbury, but not identical in the type of
>architecture.

I sent the URL of the image taken in the 1930 [?] to "This England" magazine
and asked if they could identify the whereabouts of the structure. Given
that this publication is most likely the most patriotic and most English of
all English magazines I thought that the odds were pretty good that the
editor would identify the structure! I was right. I got a response in a
couple of days.

Comparing the present day image at:

http://info.pitt.edu/~medart/image/england/england1/chichester/m0046chi.jpg

and the one from yesteryear at:

http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/subpages/stewart/mystery/rotunda.jpg

I'd say that they are the same structure.

Now for Poultry Cross in Salisbury. My mother-in-law lives a few miles south
of there so if you need to know more info please let me know!

jh