[OM] Total eclipse & Sunfilters?

Subject: [OM] Total eclipse & Sunfilters?
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 16:48:26 +0200
Hi,

As (some of) you may be aware, August 11th there will be a total solar
eclipse in the north of France, the south of England (possibly also the
south of Ireland?), the very south of Belgium, the south of Germany, and
scores of other places towards Asia.

I read an article about the eclipse, and there were some pointers for taking
pictures of (a.o.) the corona of the sun, and the eclipse in general.

At the moment I'm thinking about using the following:
OM-4Ti + Zuiko 300/4.5 + Olympus 2xA TC

Now, the article mentioned the usage of sunfilters for the lens (so looking
at the sun through 600mm won't be the last thing you'll see for the rest of
your life). I'm wondering, however, what these filters exactly are and in
what format they're availablle. A few years ago a Dutch popular science
magazine distributed special free "glasses" with the magazine. These glasses
had some sort of foil which looked like aluminium foil and which allowed you
to look directly at the sun. I'm now wondering if this is the kind of
"filter" they refer to in the article (i.e. taping such a piece of foil to
the front of the lens) or if they were really referring to screw mount
sunfilters. Since this is a one time occasion I want the pictures to be as
good as possible, but I also don't feel like spending a big wad of dough on
an expensive 72mm filter which otherwise will probably hardly ever be used
again.

If anyone knows anything about such filters and/or has some other
suggestions for taking pictures of an eclipse, please let me know, then I
can fully prepare myself.

Also, would these kind of shots work out nicely with a 500/8 reflex + Oly
2xA TC? I currently don't have a mirror lens, but if it would be a better
combo than the 300/4.5 + 2xA, I might go a bit more out of my way to track
one down...

Thanks in advance,
Olafo