Re: [OM] Caution: Digital Talk!

Subject: Re: [OM] Caution: Digital Talk!
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 19:47:58 -0400
I bought an Oly D-300L new not long after they were introduced.  That model
has since been discontinued and superceded no less than three times over.
Do I regret it?  Heck no.  Learned a lot in that time, what works and what
doesn't, what digital's strengths and weaknesses are.  It is still used
often for taking candids of kids in the local theatre classes.

To Giles' comment about scanners, he has an excellent point.  I also scan
35mm film for manipulation and printing from photoshop.  This works
exceptionally well for relatively low cost.  My low-end HP Photosmart
scanner produces a 2K x 3K scan as  32 pixel color depth.  An uncompressed
TIF file is a whisker over 25MB.  8x10 inch prints are nearly
indistinguishable from a traditional photo.

I like the ability to manipulate an image in photoshop and see the results
so quickly, unlike normal darkroom work.  And there is no such thing as
"undo" in the darkroom, only re-do <g>.  I now routinely scan whole rolls of
film at low resoultions, then catalog them.  High res scans are later worked
with and printed.  That said, for "serious" photos, I still use conventional
printing.  For top quality, the "old" ways are still better; for speed and
convienence digital is hard to beat.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far".

>Are any of you considering trying a digital, have tried one recently,
getting
>the bug, or all of the above?? Don't you think the 30th anniversary as well
>as the beginning of the new century is a great time to
digitize??(groan..why