Re: [OM] Caution: Digital Talk!

Subject: Re: [OM] Caution: Digital Talk!
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 22:35:33 -0400
I use an HP Photosmart printer.  It uses an inkjet layering layering
technology and six colors in two (very pricey) cartridges.  Sadly, HP has
discontinued this model and no replacement has been introduced I'm aware of.
I bought mine refurbished direct from HP for 600f new.  Never looked back.
:)  It's no dye-sub, and other printers are now available that will probably
do a better job, but the same can be said for my trusty ol' OM-1 and SC 50mm
1.4.

My D300 (not D340 - a newer model) has integral memory, no cards or
expandability.  The res is only 1024x768 and the lens is fixed.  The built
in flash in nearly a joke and I've tried using a slave flash with horrible
results.  As with low-end P&S, it has many limitations but performs well
within its capabilities.  The newer models feature zoom optics, flash memory
cards, higher resolution and convenient download options.  The two
capabilities that limit most are fixed memory and the very slow transfer
time to write the data to RAM.  Newer models have buffers to provide a
limited fast sequence of shots.  The D300 takes about 6 seconds, during
which it's unable to take another shot.  It also has a nasty little bug
(undocumented feature?) such that if battery power dies during the download
process it can leave memory in an undefined state.  If this happens, there
is no way to "reboot" the camera.  It must be returned to Oly for repair.  I
make >sure< the batteries are fresh when downloading.  Never had it happen
to me (yet!) and never want to experience it.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far".

Susan <DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx> wondered: