Re: [OM] Hot Shoe Problem

Subject: Re: [OM] Hot Shoe Problem
From: Bob Sull <w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 08:57:18 -0400
Jeffrey Weiss wrote:

> Perhaps we're assuming that this is brain surgery and no one has delicate
> tools.
>
> I actually think an auto transmission is far more complicated than a camera's
> internals aside from
> the ICs which no repairperson can fix anyway.
>
> And tightening a hot shoe may be a relatively simple task--but those repair
> people on this list
> have no interest to share this information for obvious reasons.
>
> The reluctance to share  this type of mechanical info doesn't extend to my ham
> radio lists, fortunately.
>
> I'll drop my inquiry.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeffrey

Wow!  What are you trying to do, give all Ham Operators a bad name?

Tearing open a ham radio is not as difficult as opening a camera body.
Most ham radio equipment is designed to allow the owner to install
options like tone decode, filters, keyers, etc.

To service ham equipment you need special tools, for the new surface
mount stuff, and an up to date knowledge of the electronics in the
radio, not to mention the service manuals that do not ship with the
radio and must be bought separately.  While you might have both the
knowledge and the tools for the radio, that does not mean that you can
open and fix something that was never designed to be user serviced.

I think you made a comment about maybe you should have perused the list
for a while. You should have since it would have kept you from giving
John the crap you gave him. John is willing to share what he can, and
part of what he shares is the knowledge, gained from experience, of what
can and what can not be serviced my the inexperienced and ill equipped
user.

73,
Bob, W8IMO

--