Re: [OM] Zuiko 28/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 28/2.8
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 00:04:28 +0100
John Hudson wrote:
Based on my experience of having examined a lot of used Zuiko lenses, I'd
say that less than one in twenty was in really top shape and worth buying...

A couple of weeks ago I called at a local shopping hall where there is a
photographic dealer with four OM bodies (OM-10, OM-1n, OM-30 & OM-2n) each
with a 50mm f1.8 Zuiko. My 50mm being an early SC and after reading Gary's
test of the MC version, I asked if they'd sell me a MC version. "There're
all MC and you can have one for £20" said salesman #1, who was serving
someone else. Salesman #2 helpfully took a camera out of the glass counter
and I removed and examined its lens. It was an F-Zuiko and I said that I
want one marked 'MC' with green reflections. He took out each one in turn
and I rejected another because of a sticky diaphragm and a third for an
absence of green. Finally I said okay to the one removed from the OM-30, but
salesman #1, who'd been watching me while still serving other customers, and
who had phoned 'the boss' to confirm his £20 quote, stepped in and said "The
boss won't want to sell the one off the OM-30." "You said they were all the
same," I replied, but he insisted that I could have any except THAT one, so
I left.

They didn't seem to know what I meant when I showed them the sticking
diaphragm and I think that my interest in just one of their 'identical'
lenses made them think it was something special, and probably more valuable,
and so were unwilling to sell it. I've just bought a mint, green-reflecting,
one by mail order from MXV, also at £20 but with the added benefit of a 12
month guarantee.

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx