[OM] RE: Solar Filters / John Hermanson

Subject: [OM] RE: Solar Filters / John Hermanson
From: "Bov, Frank" <Frank.Bov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 06:27:32 -0700
Two thoughts from yesterday's digest

1) Anyone ever consider how lucky we are to have someone like John Hermanson
participating on this list? When has he ever refrained from suggesting a
repair that was appropriate for the person posting?

2) No one should ever consider solar observation through any type of filter
without first:
- making absolutely sure it's a 5.0 D or higher *at all wavelengths* from
far IR to far UV
- checking it for any defects

Many filters block the visible spectrum, but UV and IR are what fry your
eye. That's why multiple layers of overexposed color film don't work.
Destructive testing is certainly inappropriate. Buy from trusted sources and
check for pinholes; they can let in enough UV/IR to damage your eyesight. If
you find them, use a heavily pigmented opaquing fluid to cover them. I have
a solar filter for a small telescope and the inside of my filter is covered
with little white bumps, and I add several more every time I see a hole (I
miss a lot).

While totality might be safe, I'd be real careful about trying to catch the
Diamond Ring with the naked eye. Photography is another story. If you
destroy a camera or lens, it's cheap and easily replaced compared with
what's behind the finder.

Frank