Re: [OM] Focusing screen characteristics: OM 2-x series vs. Beattie?

Subject: Re: [OM] Focusing screen characteristics: OM 2-x series vs. Beattie?
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 13:07:14 +0800
Hi David,

>C.H.-
>
>I am in your comments regarding the Minolta 7000i screen and ordered one
>from B&H. When it came I removed the Beattie screen in my 4T and slipped
the
>Minolta screen onto the screen tray. When I tried to snap the tray up under
>the prism there seemed to be more resistance than I felt with the Beattie
>screen; not much more but more, if you know what I mean.

I have tried on my 4Ti and OM3, the force to close the FC mount is normal, I
just tried on my OM4, it require a bit more force. But it close without any
problem.

>The tray latch did close, however, so I put the lens back in and looked
>through the viewfinder. I noticed that the screen seemed too small in the
>short dimension; I could even see the upper and lower edges in the finder.

You mean you see both upper and lower edges at the same time? I have just
tried it on my 4Ti again, if properly placed, both upper and lower edges can
be hidden. Otherwise, you will see either upper OR lower edges (but not both
at the same time).

>These two items made me feel uneasy about the Minolta screen so I removed
>it.
>
>Later, I measured both an Olympus screen and the Minolta screen with a dial
>caliper, the most precise instrument I have available. The Minolta measures
>36.0mm x 24.0mm, while the Oly measures 35.5mm x 25.75mm.

I'm sorry for not mentioning the small different in size of both screens,
but I don't feel any problem with it. It did much better and much cheaper
than the Beattie or OM 2-series screen. You can see even Hass. also used the
Minolta Acute Matte for its 503CX.

>Do I have the right screen? The instructions that came with the Minolta
>screen call it a focussing screen 7 and claim that the type 'L' which I
have
>will fit the 7000i camera.

Yes, this is the one I am using on my OMs. Thanks for Gary Reese's help for
getting them in US, since it was out of stock for a long time here. Before
that I only got one 7000 series screen, that is longer than the OM and need
rework before fitting on OM camera bodies.

C.H.Ling