Re: [OM] Digital depth of field - C2500

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital depth of field - C2500
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 00:39:48 -0700
From: "Bau Struye" <Bau.Struye@xxxxxxxxxx>

I read somewhere that since the digital cameras use shorter lenses (starting
around 6mm, I think), their depth of field is MUCH greater.
Can anyone comment on the depth of field differences between digital and film?

There's no free lunch. The focal length is shorter because the imaging area is smaller, which results in proportionately larger "circles of confusion," and the fractions cancel out, and you get the same depth of field for a given exposure.

Often these lenses give greater depth of field because they have a tiny aperture, NOT because of their tiny focal length.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229