Re: [OM] Hot Shoe Problem

Subject: Re: [OM] Hot Shoe Problem
From: Bob Sull <w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 12:54:19 -0400
ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 7/10/99 9:55:25 AM EST, w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << I don't want to start another flame war but read what I said.
>
>  "...... the whole thing would die faster and friendlier."   >>
>
>         I was only pointing out that he already shot way past "friendly" and
> there was no chance of anything ending "friendlier" by that point. You didn't
> answer my question regarding- if you'd like to get an e-mail like that.....
>
> George S.

George,

No I wouldn't like to get an e-mail like that.  And I didn't.....

When I sent something about giving hams a bad name, I am a Ham Radio Op
too, Jeff's respnose was not the most friendly, but maybe because of the
common interests, Oly stuff and Ham Radio, he and I are now
communicating in a friendly manner.

I don't think I'd respond very well either if I got jumped by a lot of
people on the forum, even if I did start out in a less than easy going
and friendly manner.

Getting back to the Ham Radio thing, we get new Hams that were once
active on CB.  There is "lingo" or the language of the activity that
varies.  We Hams try to keep the CB terms out of Ham Radio when they are
not common terms.  For example, when I make a first contact with someone
I give my name.  On CB people give "their personals".....  When I come
across a new Ham with habits from CB I try to politely tell them that we
generally don't use CB lingo.  There are those, however, that jump all
over the new guy and give him a hard time about what habits he is
bringing.  Some of these habits are actually illegal on Ham Radio.

The point of the above commentary is that if we jump on a person, no
matter how warm and friendly or cold and nasty he/she is, things are
probably not going to proceed in a friendly manner.  If we take a deep
breath, swallow hard, and relax,  maybe the warmth that is the norm for
this forum will continue.  I sure hope it will continue to be a warm and
friendly place to talk Oly.....

What is the old cliché about catching more flies with honey than with
vinegar?

Bob
--
                   //////